web analytics

forum forum Technical California EFI tickover speed ?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  peakrock 1 month ago.

• Author

peakrock
    Participant

I’ve finally got round to having a working rev counter in the Triking, in the end I bought a new ETB one off Alan which almost matches the old Guzzi one. It’s set for 2 cylinder, 1 PPR and works fine but (always a but!) my tickover is around 500 RPM which according to web sources is very low and it should be nearer 1000 RPM. The engine (1100 California EFI) is really torquey and pulls well from such apparent low revs, probably due to the ECU doing it’s stuff. What do you guys have your tickver speeds set at out of interest ?
      Dave

peakrock
      Participant

A further question: I’ve just been out for a run in the Triking and note that in 3rd gear at 30MPH the engine is doing 1000RPM, at 60MPH in 3rd it’s doing 2000RPM. I’m using the donor bike back wheel, tyre and speedo which appears to be accurate according to local speed cameras. Does that RPM for the speed sound about right or too low ?

WestEndGuzzi
        WestEndGuzzi
        Keymaster

Dave, sounds a bit suspect to me.
          Probably reading half the revs it should be. The ETB setting is probably wrong, double check or try another setting.
          Tony

WestEndGuzzi
          WestEndGuzzi
          Keymaster

Well, just been for a run.
            Edith is doing 4100rpm in 3rd at 60.
            Are you taking your pulse from the wrong source?

peakrock
            Participant

Hi Tony, I’m fairly certain I’m taking the pulse from the right source, having not stripped down the donor bike and marked where all the wires went it was a process of elimination as to what was the right wire when I built the Triking. The easy option for now is to toggle the switches in the back of the Tacho so it’s on 0.5 PPR and see what that looks like on the open road. Thanks for getting back to me on this 🙂
              Dave

The California ignition system works on a wasted spark system so you need half a pulse setting on the back of the tachometer.
              Algernon

peakrock
              Participant

Thanks Algernon, I’d tried it on the half a pulse setting and it gave more accurate info such as 800/900 RPM tickover and your post now corroborates the setting.
                Dave

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.