web analytics

forum forum Lounge Contest

This topic contains 48 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  eclecticeric 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

eclecticeric
    Participant

Hi, everyone – now that I (and my wife) are signed up to be at the 40th anniversary get-together at Broom Hall, I thought that I’d like to propose a contest, with the winner receiving his/her prize at the event, assuming they are in attendance. If not, other arrangements will be made for them to receive it.
      The contest I’m proposing is really just something to get people out-and-about in their vehicles , and goes like this:

Take a photo of your Triking next to (or in the same frame as) some other fairly unique vehicle. The other vehicle can be something that travels on (or under) land, sea or air, and should be something that one doesn’t see everyday. I’ve attached a fairly lame example, which is of my Triking next to a “sternwheeler” or paddle-boat which occasionally goes up and down the river near my house. The winning photo will be the one considered the most unique or attention -getting or just popular. Post your entries on this thread of the forum between now and my arbitrary cut-off date of June 20th to give us time to vote before the July get-together – not sure how we’ll do the voting yet, and am open to suggestions. I will be ineligible as far as receiving votes is concerned, but may post my own photos. The (small) prize for the photo with the most votes will be a brand new Triking “hoodie”, which I will bring with me to Broom Hall (see photo below).

I know that right now isn’t prime driving weather (at least where I live), but I thought I’d get things started in case someone lives by a steam-powered snow plow or something of that ilk. I’ll remind everyone of the contest, if necessary, in a couple of months.

Hope this sounds like something fun 🙂

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

iant-s
      Participant

A lame example??? A Stern-wheeler river boat!!!!!!!! Talk about setting the bar high from the start.

eclecticeric
          Participant

More common over here than over there – a glorified British canal barge, but nowhere near as photogenic in my opinion – bigger river, bigger barge – depends on what you’re used to 🙂

WestEndGuzzi
          WestEndGuzzi
          Keymaster

That’s not a boat, it’s a building.

eclecticeric
            Participant

I’ve never been on one – not my type of “travel” – also, I believe the wheel at the stern is just for show – goes around, but the building is actually powered by screws underwater. Pretty expensive way to tour around with masses of other people. No passport required, though, and seasickness not usually a problem 🙂
              Funny thing – when I was parking the car to take the photo, two people off the boat came up to me and asked if the car was “one of those made in Malvern” . I surprised them when I said no, but that I had been to Malvern – turned out they were on holiday from York.

Richard and Pat
              Richard and Pat
              Participant

The Trikingistas who went to the Norfolk camping week end in 2017 went on the Broads in a stern wheeler and were accosted by several small boats containing Pirates but we out pirated them on all occasions.

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                  Participant

I googled “Norfolk Broads sternwheeler” – those are delightful – so much more character than the behemoths around here. There’s a photo-op right there for someone, if you’re not scared of pirates!

DSU475
                  DSU475
                  Participant

The attached picture was sent to me some months ago , but i didn’t get around to posting it on the forum. Both machines belong to an owner in Germany called Joachim. The road roller is a Scheidt from 1954.

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                      Participant

That’s the sort of photo I’m thinking of – unless Joachim comes forward and claims the photo, it looks like you’re currently in first place !

Richard and Pat
                      Richard and Pat
                      Participant

Hell, cannot have that … time to get togged up and out photographing.

DSU475
                        DSU475
                        Participant

I can’t claim any credit for the photo, so consider it ‘claimed’ by Joachim….. And anyway, history will recall that whenever I appear to be in danger of winning something, skulduggery takes place and Im left with the ‘also rans’.

Richard and Pat
                          Richard and Pat
                          Participant

How can the King of Skullduggery ever be skulldugged, I ask you? And who are you calling an also ran?

eclecticeric
                            Participant

It just occurred to me that anyone able to get a photo of their Triking next to Oily’s vehicle would definitely have an entry 🙂

doverhay
                              doverhay
                              Participant

Took a spin out when the sun eventually showed itself; however nothing interesting to take a picture of this time but I’ll keep trying.

eclecticeric
                                Participant

It actually got up to 15 C here yesterday, but am working on the car, so couldn’t get out – probably a fluke, and will be back to 10C or less soon 🙁 One of the things I’m working on is a hood, which would increase my “window of opportunity”, although I think I’m definitely a wimp compared with most of you over there, from some of the photos I’ve seen.
                                  I can think of a couple of fairly local photo possibilities when Spring comes – not likely to accidentally stumble across something around here, but you never know !

The main idea is to get people out and about, so keep trying, Doverhay ( At some point maybe I’ll figure out everyone’s “real” names, and be less formal 🙂 )

Eric

doverhay
                                  doverhay
                                  Participant

Parked on the grass near my home was a V8 trike so had to stop and take a picture.

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                                    Participant

It may go fast, but it wouldn’t win any aesthetic design contests – and it must get pretty breezy in the back seat !

Good spotting, doverhay.

eclecticeric
                                      Participant

So, the weather’s getting better (at least here, for one day), where are all your photos ? I took Bluebottle out for the first time this year and managed to get a couple – I knew the glider was there, but stumbled across the “hot rod” on the way home.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  eclecticeric.
                                        Attachments:
                                        doverhay
                                        doverhay
                                        Participant

Still not much around; however my friend was working on a Ford Deuce Coupe so snapped a picture.

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                                          Participant

That’s the idea, Doverhay (Richard ?) -nice photo – you’re currently in first and second place 🙂 We need more entries to stop you “running the table”. Be careful, your Triking could get sucked into that inlet manifold !

WestEndGuzzi
                                            WestEndGuzzi
                                            Keymaster

We call Doverhay Dick!
                                              I couldn’t resist this picture, the Dingo is smaller than the Triking, 40kg lighter, 30mph flat out, 1200 Imp engine churning out oodles (don’t need to know figures) of torque, goes lots of places the Triking can’t but isn’t quite as comfortable.

Attachments:
                                              WestEndGuzzi
                                              WestEndGuzzi
                                              Keymaster

Here’s another angle.

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                                                  Participant

Definitely competition – worthy, although a few points may be deducted due to the lack of serendipity 🙂

Definitely competition-worthy, although a couple of points may be subtracted due to lack of serendipity 🙂

DSU475
                                                  DSU475
                                                  Participant

Yes, I agree, a flagrant violation of competition rules. I mean If it was as easy as that, I would pull the covers off my Bugatti Royale.

WestEndGuzzi
                                                    WestEndGuzzi
                                                    Keymaster

You kept that quiet Andy!

Richard and Pat
                                                      Richard and Pat
                                                      Participant

If that’s how it goes how about this one? This is Squeaker against a wall but not my wall, the wall is attached to a garage and in that garage is a Triking. Behind it are some tin tops.

Attachments:
                                                        Richard and Pat
                                                        Richard and Pat
                                                        Participant

Or maybe this one? This is an as found, revived, MOT’d and run AH Sprite.

Attachments:
                                                          Richard and Pat
                                                          Richard and Pat
                                                          Participant

Or this is a possibility perhaps? How many opportunities are there to take a photo against an unfinished Triking not belonging to you?

Attachments:
                                                            Richard and Pat
                                                            Richard and Pat
                                                            Participant

And this one I think, depending on the admins P O View, puts me one up perhaps? An American car with a big engine.

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                                                              Participant

Quality of photos is more important than quantity, Richard 🙂 Points will be awarded for “originality” – I know there are lots of cool traction engines , barges, hot air balloons and Tardis’s out there- that’s more in line with what I’m looking for, although I realise it’s mostly luck as to what one stumbles across, and I have yet to come across any of the above myself when in Bluebottle, but driving season has only just started……

Richard and Pat
                                                                Richard and Pat
                                                                Participant

Oh Hard ball eh?

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                                                                    Participant

That’s much more like it, Richard – I think “uniqueness” of the accompanying vehicle is definitely a plus. Hopefully the fire engine wasn’t there to use it’s ladder to lift out someone stuck in the cockpit of the Triking – unfortunately I’ll probably need that sort of help one day – not sure if my insurance covers that though 🙂

Richard and Pat
                                                                    Richard and Pat
                                                                    Participant

Funny you should say that Eric, as we were preparing to leave a small group assembled to see if these two ‘Lads’ 69 and 65, 6.2″ and 14 stone apiece were actually going to achieve folding themselves into the Triking.

eclecticeric
                                                                        Participant

That must be a tough fit, especially on the driver’s side ! I’m only 11 stone, so size isn’t the problem, but I think arthritis will eventually take it’s toll, so I have to make hay while the sun shines.

Oily
                                                                        Oily
                                                                        Participant

Looks like this has descended into a no-holds-barred free-for all, so here’s my two-pennorth.
                                                                          The rat on a modded trailer next to:
                                                                          MEV Tr1ke (current build)
                                                                          76 GT750 Suzuki (don’t let the Honda tank fool you), must get round to getting it sorted one day.
                                                                          78 Kwak Z650
                                                                          63 Lambretta LI 150 (all chrome, Indian copy).

Attachments:
                                                                          • #12835

eclecticeric
                                                                            Participant

That’s quite a line-up, Oily, but I’m having to use quite a bit of imagination here – are you sure that’s a Lambretta in that last photo and not Steve McQueen’s bike from “The Great Escape” ?
                                                                              When I came up for the idea for this contest, I was thinking of it as a way to give people some incentive to get out and drive around, sort of like the “Bury” contest last year. Photos taken on or of one’s own property will receive less points than those taken “on the road”.

Maybe this is going to be harder than I anticipated, regarding both the acquisition of entries, and the judging itself 🙂

• #12824
                                                                            Oily
                                                                            Oily
                                                                            Participant

Sorry, forgot to add Go-Ped & pump truck.

• #12826
                                                                              DSU475
                                                                              DSU475
                                                                              Participant

Oily,
                                                                                Quite a mix there ! I’ve always quite fancied a ‘Kettle’ and a Z650. The attachment shows my current stable.

Attachments:
                                                                              • #12828
                                                                                Richard and Pat
                                                                                Richard and Pat
                                                                                Participant

Have you swapped the Pod for a camper van?

• #12829
                                                                                  DSU475
                                                                                  DSU475
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Richard,
                                                                                    No, the Pod is stowed at work and unused for a while now. No plans to get a camper, that’s how the ‘other half ‘ live !

• #12830
                                                                                    doverhay
                                                                                    doverhay
                                                                                    Participant

Can’t quite match your modes of transport.

Attachments:
                                                                                    • #12836
                                                                                      doverhay
                                                                                      doverhay
                                                                                      Participant

Ok lads, good weather this weekend so let’s get sensible with the contest requirements. Fuel up and take a drive and just keep your eyes open, there’s got to be a good picture out there somewhere. Remember, drive safely. I’m looking forward to the 200 mile drive to Biggleswade tomorrow, I wonder if I can find a picture on the way?

• #12837
                                                                                        DSU475
                                                                                        DSU475
                                                                                        Participant

Stoneleigh this weekend / Bank holiday, I imagine there with be a few photo calls there 🙂

• #12851

eclecticeric
                                                                                          Participant

Nice day today, so I drove around for a while to see if there was anything “exciting” out there. Stopped by the local (VERY small) airfield (where I photographed the glider), but of course, I couldn’t get close to any planes. However, I spotted a rat rod which I knew was built somewhere about 20 miles from me, because the local newspaper had written about it winning the National Rat Rod Championship a year or two ago. Not sure why it was there. Very cool vehicle !
                                                                                            http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/other-makes/332421-national-champion-rat-rod.html
                                                                                            Eat your heart out Oily 🙂

Not sure where that Reactor watch came from, or how you delete a photo if you messed up !

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  eclecticeric.
                                                                                            • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  eclecticeric.
                                                                                            Attachments:
                                                                                          • #12888
                                                                                            doverhay
                                                                                            doverhay
                                                                                            Participant

Don’t see many scout cars about.

Attachments:
                                                                                            • #12892

eclecticeric
                                                                                              Participant

Great find, Dick – I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one, even over here – was this privately owned – is it street legal ?

• #12893
                                                                                                DSU475
                                                                                                DSU475
                                                                                                Participant

Ah, the Daimler ‘Ferret’ Scout car produced from 1952 to 1971, packed a Rolls Royce B60 4.2 litre 6cyl engine. I had to drive, command and repair these creatures in a previous life.

• #12895
                                                                                                  doverhay
                                                                                                  doverhay
                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks Andy for the detailed description of this privately owned road legal Ferret, it certainly sounded good as it roared by.

• #12900

eclecticeric
                                                                                                      Participant

I find it somewhat bizarre that Triking owners in the UK have to jump through so many hoops to get their vehicle registered, when this much stranger vehicle apparently got registered – intimidation ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.