web analytics

forum forum Technical Electric Triking

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  basfromasd 1 week ago.

• Author

basfromasd
    Participant

I have just started my build of a type 3 Triking and I would like to share some of the technical choices I’ve made.
      For a long time I have wanted to build and drive an electric car that was both beautiful and useful. The reason I chose the Triking for this adventure is, apart from its great looks, the low weight, the quality of the chassis and suspension, the relative simplicity and the fact that it doesn’t require an elusive donor from the 1980s.
      Alan was extremely helpful in making certain choices for the drive train and custom work on the chassis as a result of the change from a Moto Guzzi V twin engine to an electric motor. I can’t praise this man enough!
      As a result of our conversations I went for a permanent magnet hub motor in the rear wheel, a 15 inch car wheel. These motors are fairly common for plug in hybrid conversions of front wheel driven cars in China. The battery pack is to be a 96V, 20 kWh Lithium Polymer box, made with small cells (the Tesla method) and the controller driving the motor is the KLS96601-8080H by Kelly Controller. The reason I chose a hub motor is its quiet operation: no drive shaft, no gear box, no cardan. The price to pay is its larger unsprung weight and the need for a beefy custom swing arm.
      We decided Alan would make the new swing arm and modify the chassis to accomodate the motor in the rear wheel. I would myself make the modifications to chassis and body to accomodate the battery pack. While I was waiting for the kit to be readied I took a welding class…
      When the Triking arrived we spent a few days identifying all the bits, trying to find out what goes where and determining the possible location and maximum size for the battery pack. The pack will replace the Guzzi engine and gear box. Its weight will be around 80 kg. The engine is a structural member and provides stiffness. We replaced it with a bar. The two box sections were grinded off and a box bar was welded in place. The bonnet will have to be changed, to cover the battery pack. The normal Triking bonnet would not look right, placed over a stainless steel box, instead of a V-Twin engine. We will make something like the bonnet of a Morgan F Super. I welded two steel tabs to the front bar which can be used to support that bonnet with its faux grille. My welding is very ugly, but the weld is solid and after powder coating it looks just fine.
      Next challenge: mounting electrics and making a wiring loom! There is some high voltage (96V battery, 230V charger) involved, which means we can’t just leave the connections on the motor controller open.
      To be continued.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      oleg
      oleg
      Participant

Hi . Very interesting, An excellent project ! Perhaps the way we may all be going by 2040. I look forward to you next progress report.

peakrock
          Participant

Well done for taking on such an interesting project – it’s something I’ve had in mind too. As you say the Triking is a great base to build from, could you point me to any sites or links on the web to find out more about the motor etc ?

Thanks Dave

oleg
          oleg
          Participant

Hi . Very interesting, An excellent project ! Perhaps the way we may all be going by 2040. I look forward to your next progress report.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by oleg oleg.
            Richard and Pat
            Richard and Pat
            Participant

I saw that chassis at the factory, Alan did some amazing work on what looks like a really exciting project. All power to your elbow.

WestEndGuzzi
              WestEndGuzzi
              Keymaster

Ground-breaking stuff, progress will be followed closely.
                By the time we get to 2040, we will need doors also!

basfromasd
                Participant

Nothing says “New!” like a freshly powder coated chassis. And a steering column to show we’ve entered the assembling stage! When you are in this stage: there might be a polymer spacer in the steering column box. Don’t overlook it, like my son and I did.

Attachments:
                  DSU475
                  DSU475
                  Participant

I was hoping that someone would ask where you had re-located the fuel tank ….

basfromasd
                      Participant

@dsu475: so did I, but no joy. 😉
                        There’s a surprising amount of text from the Triking Build Guide that can be deleted if there’s no engine, gear box, drive shaft, fuel lines, fuel tank, exhaust, starter battery or ignition. What remains are many little puzzles, like linking the pedal to the potentiometer for the drive controller. We will use a bowden cable for that.

I’d like to have an automatic reel for the charging cable in the location of the fuel tank.

basfromasd
                      Participant

The motor is supplied by QS Motor. It is a 12 kW nominal / 24 kW peak power customised car hub model. When asked for the dimensions of the wheel I picked a 15 inch wheel for a common small car, the Toyote Aygo / Citroën C1 / Peugeot 107, because I wanted something that was relatively light and easy to source. It turned out to be a suboptimal choice: the centre bore of this wheel is only 54 mm, which gave the motor builder a headache (because of the size of the oil seal), and these cars use ventilated brake discs, which gave Alan a headache. If you might go this road: don’t make the same mistake.
                        QS Motor also provided the controller (KLS96601-8080H by Kelly Controller), main contactor, 300W DC-DC converter (converts 96V into 12V for lights and instruments) and throttle pedal. The motor was sent to Triking, so Alan could fit it to the custom swing arm.

Battery pack has been ordered from Amazing Energy Ltd. (sic). 96V, 200 Ah, built using Samsung 35E 18650 cells. Again a custom order.

Both companies have been very helpful and responsive, but since these are one off samples they need some time to manufacture them.

basfromasd
                        Participant

Regarding the wheel dimensions: a better choice would be the wheel of a 2004-2012 Mitsubishi Colt. That would not require much customisation for the motor, the brake disc could be used and probably even the caliper.

basfromasd
                          Participant

After the swing arm had been mounted in the chassis using taper roller bearings, grease and oil seals, we encountered a challenge. The motor hub fits in a tube on the swing arm and is fixed using lock nuts. Because of the location in the tube, we can’t use a hook spanner on those nuts. We can’t use a lock nut socket eiter, since there are cables protruding from the hub! Searching the Internet and asking around for help did not produce a solution, so I had to fabricate a new tool.
                            I give you the Lock Nut Tube Spanner. The steel is only 2 mm, but that was all I could find in my town. It has four tabs, so the force is divided over the four notches in the lock nut. Which is good. I could take the bar out of the spanner to let the connectors through and insert the bar again. The rubber grommets keep it from falling out. It worked like a dream! Motor and rear wheel are in place now. On to the next challenge!

Attachments:

basfromasd
                              Participant

And a few extra pictures…

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.