web analytics

forum forum Technical Hinged Bonnet

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by WestEndGuzzi WestEndGuzzi 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

eclecticeric
    Participant

I got tired of the corners of my bonnet getting banged up every time I took it off and put it on the (often hard) ground – the fiberglass on the corners is quite fragile, so I decided to build a hinged bonnet, so I wouldn’t have to completely take it off in order to access the interior, After several abortive designs, I finally came up with this design, which is sort of complicated, but seems to work pretty well. The photos are self explanatory – I used my 3D printer to make a bunch of the parts out of PETG plastic – I would prefer them to be out of metal, but I don’t have a CNC mill. To open the bonnet, I unscrew the knob at the front, and then pull the bonnet back and then up to release the tabs at the rear from under the body either side of the wiper motor. The rear support keeps the bonnet from rotating or falling. Gets rid of the need for external screws. As an additional safety measure I’ll probably figure out some sort of safety latch accessed from inside the glove box.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

eclecticeric
      Participant

Some more photos:

Attachments:
          doverhay
          doverhay
          Participant

Looks good, I like it.

WestEndGuzzi
          WestEndGuzzi
          Keymaster

Excellent solution to a problem that I know all about.
            I was using a bungee elastic for a long time but that is now banned post re-spray!
            Still using 4 bolts.

Attachments:

eclecticeric
            Participant

Tony – maybe I should use a bungee cord as my back-up safety device instead of some complicated latching mechanism 🙂

WestEndGuzzi
                WestEndGuzzi
                Keymaster

Don’t do it Eric, it will mark the paintwork.

Richard and Pat
                Richard and Pat
                Participant

I’ll take some pictures in a mo Eric, but I have fitted studs in the lower rear quarter and long nuts with turn handles on the end. The joining end has a revolving washer with a rubber washer on it. The underside of the body where the studs pass is coated with a metallic tape. It is preferable to fit the rain gutters as designed by Richard French I think. Pictures to follow once dismantled, photographed and reduced for the forum.

Richard and Pat
                  Richard and Pat
                  Participant

Bolt with rotating washer and rubber gasket stuck on, Holes for the bonnet, two black dots either side, Stud stuck into bonnet, View from inside. Note silver metal tape to aid release when unscrewing.

Attachments:
                    Richard and Pat
                    Richard and Pat
                    Participant

Richard French has some drawings of these very useful additions. Full set on the carpet, one side fitted. The spring at the front of the bonnet. I have travelled without but I prefer not to.

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                      Participant

Thank you Richard for taking time to take and upload the photos. Even though I now have a hinged bonnet, I’m still interested in how other people deal with bonnet attachment problems, as one of the problems with my bonnet now is that it doesn’t fit as well at the back as it did when I was using the regular bolt system. without the bolts constraining it, it is a little “splayed out”, and is wider than the rest of the body by up to 1/4″, so I need to figure out how to remedy this. I don’t think the extended vertical bolts that you use would work, as it would be hard to get everything to line up in order to tighten things down. Right now I’m thinking a couple more tabs at the outside might help – we’ll see.
                        As far as rain gutters, I don’t think the metal ones would work in my situation, as the bonnet has to slide back, and would be stopped by the metal gutter. I have some thick rubber pond liner laying around, so will glue some strips of that in place, using Alan’s black goop, and see if that works.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.