web analytics

forum forum General Discussion Hood Design

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  eclecticeric 1 month ago.

• Author

eclecticeric
    Participant

I’m in the process of designing/building a hood for my Triking, and I’m finding Tony’s Hood Fabrication Guide to be a big help, but I have a question for you, Tony (I’m posting it here as the answer might be of help to other potential hood fabricators). Your guide shows a black car (Elsie ?) initially, and a blue car (Doris ?) at the end. They have similar hoods, but I notice that the center arched support on the black car is quite a bit farther forward than on the blue car, and since I think the blue car hood is probably more recent, I’m wondering if you were having a problem getting in/out of the car with the support further forward, and so moved it back on your second hood? After some experimentation, I’m finding that there’s no way I could get into a car with the support as far forward as Elsie’s, but I’m also worried that the further back I move that support the more the expanse of material in front of it is liable to “thrum” when driving. Any comments from you, or anyone else, would be most appreciated.

WestEndGuzzi
      WestEndGuzzi
      Keymaster

Hi Eric
        Florence was my first build with cream upholstery, Edith is the second and current build, originally black but now French blue with black trim.

The rear hoop is free to pivot and settle where the front to back strut puts it and the tension of the material holds it there.
        The front hoop, which is about half way between rear hoop and windscreen, cannot drop down too low because of the stops on the side supports.
        This is the bit that gives the head room, dictated by the stops on the side.
        When the front of the hood is unclipped from the windscreen, the front hoop is free to pivot up/back giving better access for bigger people.
        The front to back strut is the item that gives the tension in the material, which is pulled down onto the front hoop, hence no flapping.
        I can get into the car with the centre front clip done up, just the side clip off and hood folded back. But access is easier with all clips undone, you can then do all of the clips up when in the car.
        Hope this helps.
        Tony

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        WestEndGuzzi
        WestEndGuzzi
        Keymaster

I’ve put a couple more pictures at the bottom of ‘Guides – Hood Fabrication’
          Note that the wing mirrors needed to be extended a bit to give better rear view past the hood which then needed the stabiliser strut to stop vibration. The l/h mirror also needed extending rearwards to be able to see it with side screen on.

eclecticeric
          Participant

Thanks for that detailed explanation, Tony. Not sure where I came up with Elsie and Doris 🙂 So, as far as I can gather, the front hoop, and maybe neither of the hoops is attached to the fabric in any way. I was assuming that the front hoop was velcroed or stitched to fabric, so could not be moved back in order to aid getting in a and out. I now realise that the front to back straight tube keeps everything in place. I need to do a little re-design – thought I had this great design, but then realised I couldn’t get in and out – details !
            Hadn’t thought about the mirrors – I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it….

Thanks again!

Eric

eclecticeric
            Participant

One more question, Tony – when the side panels are unzipped, are they totally separate from the main hood ?

WestEndGuzzi
              WestEndGuzzi
              Keymaster

Yes.

eclecticeric
                Participant

I’ve got the frame of my hood basically completed, and now have to deal with fabricating the hood material itself, which will definitely be the harder part. After sitting in the car and realizing how restricted the view out is going to be, in every direction, and especially as far as seeing traffic lights and signs, etc., I’m thinking “Why not make the complete hood out of clear vinyl ?”. Probably wouldn’t be as durable as vinyl cloth, mohair, etc., but once I have the plans figured out, it will be easy enough to make another one. Can’t decide whether it would look like ****, or just a combination of “futuristic” and “retro”.

Is this a crazy idea, or not – your comments welcomed (I’ve been called crazy before, so will not be offended).

WestEndGuzzi
                  WestEndGuzzi
                  Keymaster

You do have to be sitting so that you look through the windscreen and not over it, otherwise you won’t see anything with a hood on.
                    Drape some material over the frame to give a clue as to how much side cut out will be needed to give a view of traffic lights.
                    Here’s a picture of Rob just before he drove off into the sunset in Florence. (sob sob)

Attachments:
                    WestEndGuzzi
                    WestEndGuzzi
                    Keymaster

Here’s another from the side.
                      Note the ‘gutter’ around the opening to help keep the rain out.

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                      Participant

Thanks for your input, Tony – Rob looks fairly short, as there are several inches between the top of his head and the hood – I’m 5’11” and would have a hard time slouching down very much without my knees being constrained by the bodywork. It’s mostly the forward view I worry about – it must be like driving in a very low tunnel all the time. Obviously people deal with it, but it would drive me crazy not being able to see much up front (maybe I’m claustrophobic 🙂 ). I think I may go ahead and make a totally clear hood just to see how it looks – only $50 of vinyl, and I’ve done some glue tests – at least as strong as stitching, as I think it welds the vinyl together – the vinyl tears before the glue gives way, and much easier than sewing for a do-it-yourselfer like me.

eclecticeric
                        Participant

Well, after much thought, and some experimentation, I’ve decided to make the hood out of cloth-backed vinyl rather than the clear vinyl, as I’ve realized that the clear vinyl isn’t as flexible as the cloth-backed vinyl, and would make fabricating the hood so it fit properly quite a bit harder. It would also be harder to put up/take down/ fold up in cool weather. I may put some clear vinyl up front above the windscreen to provide better visibility forwards , though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.