web analytics

forum forum General Discussion I hate electrical….

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by WestEndGuzzi WestEndGuzzi 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

bdaughdrill
    Participant

Trying to finish buttoning up electrical before dropping shell on and getting this thing on the road. Have everything figured out (yes, in extensive consultation with the wiring diagram, printed in color, 6-pages put together and pinned to a board over top the build for consultation) down to turn signals. I have “diagnosed” two issues: 1) the hazard switch apparently isn’t right type (my helper wired Gr/W and Gr/R together into one pole with Or/W on other side because the switch had only two positions and the Gr to Gr/Br needed the other (see snap of the diagram). That resulted in BOTH signals coming on when you flipped either side of column switch; and 2) the signal (presently on both sides) does not flash (suspect this is flash relay not built for LEDs which I upgraded to). Does anyone have a link for a switch that comports to the diagram before I roll this thing outside and set it on fire?

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  bdaughdrill.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

eclecticeric
      Participant

I appreciate your problem – wiring was the hardest part of my build also. I remember fretting over exactly the same problem. I think the type of switch required is a triple pole, single throw switch, but I had problems finding one that would fit in the location where I had already drilled a hole in the dash, as it was going to be bigger than the other switches and so currently am using two switches to do this job, so if I ever need to turn hazard lights on I will have to flip two switches. I believe this switch should do the job https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-TPST-ON-OFF-Industrial-Toggle-Switches-301-triple-pole-single-throw-/161045454431 , but don’t purchase one until you hear from more knowledgeable people, as I may be totally wrong 🙂

bdaughdrill
          Participant

After studying it for about 3 hours, I had just come to the same conclusion, 3 pole and was trying to decide whether single or double throw because the diagram has one hot while the others are off which doesn’t suggest a single throw. Fortunately have the space, just trying to confirm before I buy my THIRD version of switch. Looking at link now, much obliged

eclecticeric
          Participant

Since all three poles are independent of one another, I don’t think it matters what state each pole is in when you throw the switch, but as I said before, electrical is my weakest point, so hopefully someone else will verify (or not) this. I did go through a couple of fuses trying to get things straightened out.

WestEndGuzzi
            WestEndGuzzi
            Keymaster

Firstly, you will need to get the electronic winker relay if you are using LEDs.
              2nd. The drawing should match the standard wiring loom.
              3rd. The intended hazard switch is the push-button type see here https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/212/category/43
              Others could do the same job in a single switch.
              4th. You can control the winkers and hazards with one relay by switching the supply with the hazard switch (on – off contacts on the drawing). Let me know if you want to do this and I can email you another drawing.
              On the AES website, look at the wiring drawing for the 170902 Hazard Kit may help you.
              Good luck
              Tony

bdaughdrill
                Participant

Hi Tony,
                  New relay (replacement) ordered. I got the classic LED relay when I ordered LEDs but it went walk-a-bout during assembly. No room for that push button and have the continuing issue that I have to go through 5/8” buried walnut. I cut out pockets with a router in back to get to 3/8 but dash is already finished so no new cutting. The 4th point, yes, if you have that drawn up, that would be awesome. What is “AES website”

Thnx

WestEndGuzzi
                    WestEndGuzzi
                    Keymaster

Here’s the diagram from the AES site https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/
                      It shows how to do it with a double pole switch.
                      I got over the problem of fitting toggle switches to a 3/4″ thick walnut dash by mounting the switches on a separate stainless plate which fits from the back into a rebated aperture. But I think you are past that stage.
                      Tony

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                  Participant

Thanks for posting that Tony, it helps me also – I didn’t know about this push-button switch . Now I can probably get rid of my two switches !

bdaughdrill
                      Participant

Thanks! i saw the suggestion about using a plate insert about 3/4s into finishing the dash and decided against it because it took away too much “figure” from the burl to cut out the center of the dash…what Yggdrasil gives, Lucas takes away… Anyway. Got the AES drawing and will print it out and see if that works but have a 3 pole ordered, too so one way or another…

WestEndGuzzi
                      WestEndGuzzi
                      Keymaster

Connections for the push button switch.
                        If you have 2 relays, you can turn hazards on with a 2 pole toggle switch.
                        With 1 relay you will need the push button type detailed in the diagram to change the power source using contacts 1-4 & 2-3 and to connect hazard relay output to both indicator circuits 5-6-7

Attachments:
                        SteveO
                        SteveO
                        Participant

Hi,

I buy all my switches, relays etc. from http://www.holden.co.uk

They have a toggle switch which lines up with the Triking series 1 wiring diagram. I know as I fitted.
                          On their web site on a specific switch page there is a wiring diagram for the switch under more info. the switch for Hazard lights is not a simple 3 pole as different terminals are connected in each of the 2 switch positions.

Hope helps

Steve

WestEndGuzzi
                          WestEndGuzzi
                          Keymaster

Here’s a better sketch for wiring the push button switch with single relay.

Attachments:
                            WestEndGuzzi
                            WestEndGuzzi
                            Keymaster

Here is a way of controlling hazards using a double pole switch

Attachments:

bdaughdrill
                                Participant

many thanks to all, you have saved the beast from a fiery death (or at least, given me opportunities for it to be me and not the beast’s fault). One of these will be in place by this weekend or there will simply be no hazards (we don’t have MOTs here)

bdaughdrill
                                Participant

Boys and girls, WE HAVE LIGHT! Lucas, lord of darkness is banished. The only light not working is the neutral indicator and I’ve determined that is a bad neutral sender off the tranny, part in hand, just have to figure out pulling starter on a mounted motor to access and that will be done. Many thanks to all for guidance. It’s much easier when you know what you’re doing! Try to post a video but I’m sure that it’s far more exciting to me than to anyone else

eclecticeric
                                  Participant

The Duke of Hazard ! Good work – persistence wins the day. Don’t know whether my neutral light is “normal” or just finicky – only seems to come on about half the time I’m in neutral, so not something I can rely on .

Richard and Pat
                                    Richard and Pat
                                    Participant

Post and be pleased man!

WestEndGuzzi
                                      WestEndGuzzi
                                      Keymaster

|You won’t be able to put a video on here, we don’t have the capacity.
                                        Put it on UTube and post the link here.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.