web analytics

forum forum Technical Side underbody protection

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by doverhay doverhay 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author
    doverhay
    doverhay
    Participant

After three repairs to lower body edge I’ve come to the conclusion that some sort of defence is required. I’m sure I’ve seen modifications done on this area by Axel and Paul (Germany) so if they have any info on what they did, or anyone else who has tried to combat this problem, it would really be appreciated if they could share it with me. My remedy is to use a strip of stainless steel bar 30mm x 3mm, shape it and glue it to the lower edge (not sure about securing it by any other method); however, I’m open to suggestions before I proceed. I have two 1m lengths of bar which I’m hoping to use.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Richard and Pat
      Richard and Pat
      Participant

How about something like this Richard?

Attachments:
        doverhay
        doverhay
        Participant

Now you’re being silly Richard; however, a pair of skids would probably do the trick! 😉

Richard and Pat
          Richard and Pat
          Participant

Blame the cold in the workshop.

david
            david
            Participant

Alan mentioned to me once [after I had sparks on a roundabout over here…..] that he used the nylon chopping boards cut to fit..
              with inset rivets I believe and a strong adhesive..on the supercharged one he built..they don’t spark..
              David

WestEndGuzzi
              WestEndGuzzi
              Keymaster

|I used some 3 x something ally sheet, card template first then jigsaw out, polyurethane adhesive and an ss screw front and back.
                This picture was of Florence, same fitted on Edith.

Attachments:

eclecticeric
                Participant

Richard – how about gluing/riveting something like this along each side – I think it would be sufficient to protect the fiberglass, since it is backed by the frame.

https://www.par-group.co.uk/engineering-plastics/wear-strips/extruded-profiles-and-wear-strips/flat-coiled-wear-strips/

JFerg
                  JFerg
                  Participant

Having at different times grounded the body on both sides and had to rush home for a change of undies, I’ve bolted a nylon block, cut from a chopping board, on to each side. 4″ long, 1 3/4″ wide, drilled and tapped, so bolted from within.

I have managed to tear one off, however…….

JFerg

doverhay
                    doverhay
                    Participant

Thanks lads, you’ve giving me food for thought; although Myra has locked up the plastic chopping boards so I may have to use the stainless flat bar I have, it should do the trick!

WestEndGuzzi
                      WestEndGuzzi
                      Keymaster

Utilisation of materials to hand is rat-rod philosophy.

phil whizzer
                        phil whizzer
                        Participant

Hi guys,
                          Here are (I hope) pics of alloy skids I fitted 8 years ago. They are 160mm long x 20mm x 20mm although they would benefit from being 25mm deep.

Regards
                          Phil

Attachments:
                            doverhay
                            doverhay
                            Participant

Thanks Phil, I can see the side wear problem has been a problem for all, I suppose the low height of the chassis has both advantage and disadvantage, I can now see several ways to overcome the disadvantage. Again, thanks to all, work starts as soon as I’m back from holiday in Madeira in just over a weeks time, after some well deserve sunshine. 😉

peakrock
                            Participant

You all need the ride height of my 4 x 3 Triking… 🙂
                              Dave

Richard and Pat
                              Richard and Pat
                              Participant

As seen on the calendar for August 2018.

Musselermark
                                Musselermark
                                Participant

When I built my Triking I used the Koni dial a ride shocks of the donor bike. I made 30mm extension brackets between shocks and body.
                                  I have not encountered any bodyshell to road contact with my always gentle driving.

Richard and Pat
                                  Richard and Pat
                                  Participant

Which hat do you have on exactly Mark?
                                    Love
                                    Pat

WestEndGuzzi
                                    WestEndGuzzi
                                    Keymaster

Mark, your driving is as gentle as mine…………..
                                      I replaced my Triking supplied shockers with the donor bike Forenale gas ones to give an adjustable softer ride.
                                      Mine also needed raising a bit.
                                      Come to think about it Dick, your motor has always looked a little low at the back.
                                      The dirty little round thing on top of the fuel tank is not a return, it’s an oil breather catch pot from the reverse gearbox.
                                      I do not make it my hobby cleaning under the boot…………..

Attachments:
                                      Musselermark
                                      Musselermark
                                      Participant

Just remember to ensure no binding on driveshaft uj if increasing swing arm angle to body by longer shocks.

doverhay
                                        doverhay
                                        Participant

I have found some 360mm shocks to replace the 340mm, that would be the same as extending the fixing point I’m guessing?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.