web analytics

forum forum Technical Tips on dismantling donor bike please

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by frederick frederick 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author
    frederick
    frederick
    Participant

’08 Norge, hate to tear into it such a pretty bike but…

Questions…where to start, what to save…suggestions welcome.

WestEndGuzzi
      WestEndGuzzi
      Keymaster

Surely, there must be someone who has dismantled a carc suspended Guzzi as a Type 4 donor who is prepared to share the experience.

I have one in the shed but is still in one piece (except the accident damaged plastic bits).

In addition to the engine/transmission, with all the ancillary bits to make it run, rear wheel, you will need the front brakes.
        Come on T4 builders, there must be more to this!

DSU475
        DSU475
        Participant

Hi Frederick,
          I think i’m right in saying that if you intend to use the ‘doner’ registration number, don’t sell the frame with the frame number still visible (not ground off) as you may encounter problems when you come to register the Triking for the road.

jtdesign
          Participant

Hi Frederick,
            early days for the Type 4s at the moment but I will help as much as I am able.

My experience is with a Stelvio rather then a Norge, but they are similar animals …

After getting rid of the covering plastic you will need to keep :-
            Engine and gearbox.
            Throttle cables, gear linkage, clutch bleeder.
            Oil cooler and pipes and fittings. (Don’t think you will need the fan)
            Main wiring loom (as a doner for the new EFI loom).
            Front brake discs and calipers.
            CARC unit, shock absorber, dog-bone linkage.
            Rear wheel (unless fitting billet alloy one), brake disc, wheel bolts.
            Fuel pump and filter assembly from fuel tank.
            Fuel pipe between injectors.
            Oil separator (plastic box).
            Air temp sensor from air/filter box.
            Any other bits I’ve forgotten.

I found it easiest to strip the bike by strapping the front down and suspending the rear of the bike well lifted. The engine and gearbox then come out rear-wards.
            Alan will supply new CARC swing-arm bearings so you don’t have to remove the bearing shells from the frame (difficult).
            Take the opportunity to strip and re-grease the dog-bone linkage roller bearings – Guzzi are very sparing with the grease so check for water damage as well.
            Not sure if the Norge has the cylinder heads fixed to the frame (the Stelvio does) and the early ones are done with studs – an angle grinder is your friend.
            Keep the lower gearbox cross-bolt if it is in good condition.

I assume you are going to use standard Triking instruments and not the ones from the bike.

PM me or ask here if you have more questions – I will do my best to help.

Good luck,
            John

frederick
            frederick
            Participant

This is great…thank you John, DSU

I’ve started a “Tip Sheet” I’ll share as it accumulates.

My kit is ordered with the 15″ rear rim…the guide mentions some modification to the rear brake is necessary…what is the modification?

Also what kind of instructions came with your kit?

I was planning on using the Norge wiring harness, extending circuits as needed to fit…figuring why reinvent the wheel. Does that make sense?

Similarly I was considering incorporating the Norge instrument cluster which has a definite art deco look to it …complimenting the lines and era of the car…still on the fence…depends whether or not I can “de-modernize” and disguise its shape enough.

Curious…since the type 4 reuses the front rotors, why then couldn’t one hook up the Guzzi’s ABS system?

Last, how do I PM you here…don’t see a button for that.

Frederick

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by frederick frederick.
              Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                frederick
                frederick
                Participant

sorry about the double upload…still getting the hang of this forum. Doesn’t appear to be a way of deleting duplicate images.

frederick
                frederick
                Participant

Something like this…anyway, we’ll see. Plenty of time to play around since my kit is not due until November-ish.

Frederick

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  WestEndGuzzi
                  WestEndGuzzi
                  Keymaster

Fred
                    To PM a member, go to the Messages tab at top of page, click new message, type in the user name you want to contact, it will auto-fil but is a bit slow. Post away.

frederick
                    frederick
                    Participant

tried, keep getting a “gateway timed out” message.

i’ll try again later

WestEndGuzzi
                      WestEndGuzzi
                      Keymaster

So, the PM system is on the blink again.
                        Email your permission to me and I’ll pass your details on.

Tony

frederick
                        frederick
                        Participant

you have my permission

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.