web analytics

forum forum General Discussion Triking Hood

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  eclecticeric 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Guzzitrike
    Participant

Whilst I appreciate that the Triking is an open cockpit car, the comfort of a hood is appealing as it means that you can journey in all weathers.

now I have googled the how do I make/build !! etc. but it is not clear how easy or not it is to fit one of these beasts. Is this something you can buy from Triking or is it a case of DIY? If so any pointers?

eclecticeric
      Participant

Hi – I’m trying to build my own – I’m making progress with the hardware side of things, but I think the actual sewing will be a problem, but will probably try and do it myself anyway, at least for the first attempt, as I’m a cheapskate.
        If you go to the top of this page, third from the right it says “guides”, and under this heading you will find some very helpful information on building a hood. If I ever have success with mine, I’ll post some info. about what I did also.
        I believe Alan at Triking also makes/sells hoods, so you could contact him. I can’t afford to fly him over here to fit mine 🙂

Eric

WestEndGuzzi
        WestEndGuzzi
        Keymaster

Been there – done that. Made a hood for Edith (and Florence & Daisy).
          Thought I had shared the procedure with all but can see no reference.
          If anyone can recall please let me know. I have pictures on file so could have another go!

eclecticeric
            Participant

By the way, Tony – do you remember what thickness of clear vinyl you used for your windows – I started out with “40” weight, which I’m guessing is 0.4 mm thick, but that seemed too thick, and now I’m trying to decide whether to go with “30” or “20” weight.

Thanks

Eric

eclecticeric
            Participant

Tony- like I told Guzzitrike, your hood fabrication guide is still available under “Guides” – it’s been very useful to me.

WestEndGuzzi
              WestEndGuzzi
              Keymaster

Eric, I just found an off-cut from the side screens. It’s 0.5mm thick. Works well for me.
                Found the Guide—–I just wasn’t clicking on Hood Fabrication. Doh.

eclecticeric
                  Participant

Thanks, Tony – so I actually measured the thickness of my vinyl, and it turns out it’s 40/1000’s of an inch, not 0.40mm, so about twice as thick as yours – that’s why it’s hard to fold, especially when it’s cold outside ( I got it because it was recommended for boat side-screens. I guess I’ll switch to the so-called 20 gauge, which would be the same thickness as yours – will be easier to sew, also.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.