forum Forums General Discussion Bonnet Fixing

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  eclecticeric 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

eclecticeric

I notice in the 2018 calendar preview that the cars featured in May and October don’t have any visible bonnet fixings – they are both Type 2 cars, as mine is. I’m wondering how these bonnets are fixed down. I went ahead and drilled holes and used bolts to hold it down, but I’d really prefer a different method.

Thanks
      Eric

billdavies
      billdavies

Eric,
        Zeus Fasteners give a flush type of fixing, they are opened using a small coin and quarter turn.
        There are many copies on the flee market
        regards Bill

eclecticeric

Thanks Bill for the Dzus fastener suggestion – looks like they are quicker to undo than the button bolts, and are a definite possibility. The two cars I mentioned don’t appear to have any visible fasteners though, so if Pesq or claus see this, maybe they could enlighten me on how their bonnets are fastened.

pesq
          pesq

Eric
            May calendar picture. The bonnet is fastened internally by 2 M6 bolts which go through the flange of the body lip into nuts bonded into the bonnet lip. A single spring at the front is mounted on top of the gearbox and with a hook which engages into a loop on the underside of the bonnet. Pictures may help.
            I think this method is not uncommon and follows on from the system originally used by Tony Divey on the earlier Trikings. Alan could probably give more info.
            Regards

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by pesq pesq.
            Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.

eclecticeric

Thank you, Paul for your description and photos. I didn’t realise until now that Type 3’s come with pre-drilled holes for the external bolts, and Type 2’s don’t. My Type 2 came without any holes, so not knowing any better, I assumed that I should drill the holes and install the external M6 bolts, which I did. I’m not sure why there is a difference between Type 2’s and Type 3’s in this respect, as I assumed the bonnets were essentially identical, except maybe for width. Anyway, I may go with a system like you have, or I may come up with my own method, as I don’t really like the 4 external bolts, and it seems like those bolts behind the dashboard would be hard to reach.

phil whizzer

Hi Eric,
                You might be interested in the modified fixing I copied from one of the German cars I think it was Paul Williams. Essentially the front bonnet is held down by a Tenax press stud (a quality upholstery item used on tonneau covers) on each side which is mounted on a shaped right angle stainless bracket which is then bolted to the bonnet flange.
                At the back the normal screw fixing going into the captive nut in the bonnet is replaced by a finger tightened knob screwed onto a stud together with a sleeve and lock nuts. This means that you can sit in the cockpit and as part of the pre- flight checks you can reach under the bonnet on each side and check it’s tight!!
                I think I picked up the knobs at Beaulieu Autojumble – anyone know what they are from ?
                To further help aiming the stud into the right place I have painted a vertical white line from the hole downwards.
                Hope this is useful and have attached some pics (fingers crossed!)
                Kind regards
                Phil

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.

eclecticeric

Thank you, Phil – I particularly like the idea of the Tenax fasteners up front, and I think my local hardware store has knobs similar to the ones used under the bonnet. I have several ideas now, and a lot of time to think about them, as it is cold and wet here now, and will be for the next several months. I’m currently working on fabricating a hood to provide me more driving time, and the bonnet fixing problem will be my next project after that.

Good luck with your sale – it’s a really nice looking vehicle !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.