forum Forums General Discussion Bonnet Problems

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  eclecticeric 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

eclecticeric

I’ve been working on my car for about 6 weeks now, and it’s slowly coming along. Have had the body loosely on for a while, but haven’t put the bonnet on for a couple of weeks, and decided to put it on today . Last time I had the bonnet on it fit reasonably well, but today it’s a different story – the front fits like it did before, but the rear has “splayed out”, so that it’s about 3/4″ wider than the body on either side. I’m wondering if other people have experienced something similar. Maybe it’s connected with the fact that it was in the 90’s (around 33 C) for two or three days – I also left it in the sun for a couple of days(not when it was that hot, though ), because I read that you need to do this to degas the fibreglass, otherwise you’ll get blisters when you paint it.
      I’ve strapped a tie-down around it right now to try and get it back into shape – if that doesn’t work I may have to put in some fiberglass gussets to force it back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  eclecticeric.
      • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  eclecticeric.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

eclecticeric

Well, having put a strap around it, and left it in the sun for a couple of hours, it’s pretty much back to where it originally was. I guess this “flexing” wouldn’t normally be a problem, as most people keep their bonnet in place with fasteners on the side, which would make it keep it’s shape regardless of temperature etc. However, I was planning on making a hinged bonnet for ease of access (I’ve already hinged my boot), and this will make it more complicated, as I wasn’t planning on anchoring it from the sides. I happen to have some carbon fibre tube laying around, so may glass it in from one side of the bonnet to the other so it maintains it’s shape.

iant-s

When you come to permanently secure the body, bolt the bonnet and rear into place securely before finalising the fit. Do not push or force the body into place. It needs to fit in a completely relaxed way “fits where it touches” as the old saying goes. Fibre-glass does not like being held in a stress position. It can develop crazing on the gel-coat which will wreck the paintwork. If it is VERY stressed the strands can start to snap and de-laminate. On my car the body fit was plenty good enough so I am sure yours will be too.

Case in point again on my car – my windscreen wiper set up looks perfect but I have noticed the body flexes just a little with the push-pull. I will have to correct this as the motion is sure to damage the fibre-glass over time.

WestEndGuzzi
          WestEndGuzzi

Well said Ian, you have a good way with words!
            I back all of that up.

eclecticeric

Thank you for the advice regarding stressing the fiberglass, although it seems as though there is going to be some unavoidable stress if the fiberglass is trying to change it’s shape due to temperature changes, but is bolted down . It will probably be worse with darker colours and in places hotter (and colder) than the UK 🙂

When we fitted the body to Andrew’s car last week we noticed it was much wider at the front than it was when dry [i.e. without sticky stuff applied] then I noticed that if you lifted the tail it closed up to where it should be. This I think is because we fitted the D shaped piece with the body instead of after the body was glued and dry. A jack with a block of wood and a clamp on the jack to stop it dropping overnight cured the situation. That black ‘goop’ is amazing stuff just don’t shake hands on a good job at the end of the exercise. Andrew and I were in A&E for three hours 🙂

eclecticeric

I agree, that black stuff is amazing – I haven’t put my body on yet, but have used it for a few minor things and it definitely sticks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.