forum Forums General Discussion Deep in the forest something stirred!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  iant-s 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

guygreaves

Many many years ago I had the pleasure (!) of accompanying Tony Divey on one of the MCC long distance trials. These go on overnight and most of the next day and are a test of navigation, reliability and off road capability. At around 2 am, after about 5 hours of meandering around Devon and Cornwall we started up a very steep muddy section in the middle of forest. We were halfway up when the engine stopped and a voice came from below “Your fuel Tank has fallen out and all the fuel is pouring out of it.”. I struggled out of the cockpit and ran as fast as 4 layers of clothes with waterproofs on top would allow me and turned the fuel tank over to to stop any more leakage,

Somehow we got the Triking back to the bottom of the section (think darkness, mud and a steep rutted trail) and commenced repairs. The tank mounts had rusted through so Tony gouged holes in the bodywork with his Swiss army penknife in order that we could strap the tank on the side of the rear bodywork, an extra hole was made for the fuel line.

I was quite pleased with this as we could limp home and I could get half an night’s sleep. Oh no, Tony had other ideas and set off for the next section!! Fortunately the battery wouldn’t charge and while it was OK do bump start on tarmac, it precluded any more off road driving.

guygreaves

Lets try again with a zipped photo.

guygreaves

How do I attach some photos?

WestEndGuzzi
          WestEndGuzzi

Compress to below 512kb.
            Or email it to me and I’ll do it for you!
            atdwe at gmail dot com

guygreaves

Compressing Photos is more difficult than building a Triking.

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              DSU475
              DSU475

Hi Guy,
                Keep the stories coming !
                Andy.

guygreaves

And here’s a photo of Tony and Moi in action, dawn was breaking and it was decidedly cool.

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.

iant-s

This would be the original “Old Lady”?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent replies