forum Forums Technical Digital Gear change indicator

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by david david 2 months ago.

• Author

SteveO

Always forgetting which gear I am in I fitted a digital indicator similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Universal-LED-Digital-Gear-Indicator-Motorcycle-Display-Shift-Lever-Sensor-/380727791188

still working on magnet positioning to get correct readout but looks promising. Fitted the sensors to a bracket in the gear lever slot in transmission tunnel and magnet to gear lever. Will have to epoxy magnet to lever when I get the right position. For $10 Canadian hard to beat. Stuck the readout to dash between speedo and rev counter with double sided tape so can remove.

SteveO

david
      david

Ah I have one and fitted it -works fine on the superlite which has 6 speeds…the magnet needs really bedding in strongly as it tends to lift off -but it sticks to anything metal before it falls off…careful positioning of the sensors needed or it clicks twice ..and as the lever moves in an arc means curved positioning…at least is on this one…
        If it catches on moving, it will come unstuck…

WestEndGuzzi
        WestEndGuzzi

I must chip in here.
          Be in the right gear at the right time.
          If you are not in 1st gear then there is a resistance to moving the gear lever forward, You might stall if not in first.
          When you have finished the acceleration mode, you will be in top gear if there is no resistance to moving the gear lever to the rear. I check it regularly, even when I know I am in top gear, (Ask bro David).
          If acceleration is sluggish then you are probably in too high a gear, if the engine is screaming then you are in too low a gear.
          It’s in the blood. If you can’t feel it, practice more.

May be more important to know if you are in reverse gear.
          Tony

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.

Could use one of those switches on the handbrake Tony, where did you get it and what is its identifying number/ name please?

WestEndGuzzi
          WestEndGuzzi

It came from AES https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/38
            NC contact so that as soon as you move the handbrake lever, warning light is on.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.

SteveO

Tony

I must admit to a certain degree of “gadgetisus” at play here. Only get confused around town between 3rd and 4th. Do the same on bikes after near 50 years of motorcycles. Guzzi Convert solves all gear change issues!

Steve

david
              david

As I have never driven a bike it is all new stuff to me -am used to the green injection one with ford box…but in the superlite it is very different and somewhat important to know where you aren’t…I find first or should I say I don’t find first easily even with the green indicator.. and with Mme on board , necessary to not use full stuff and go gently…
                am still planning to get the superlite to Germany but am finding the rear drive needs beefing up somewhat….as it tends to loosen all the bolts after a while !!when it clunks its time to sort it !!!am trying some stronger loctite…..but it does roll nicely along in 6th gear at 60mph at 2.500 revs…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.