forum Forums General Discussion Excess Baggage

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  eclecticeric 3 weeks ago.

• Author

eclecticeric

My donor bike came with panniers, which I initially thought I’d try and sell on Ebay. Then I realized that I could use them on the Triking for extra baggage space. I mounted them on the exhaust pipes using “u” bolts with a sheet of aluminum diamond plate and a couple of airgaps between. I added an extra exhaust pipe support on each side to help take the extra weight. The panniers can be mounted/dismounted in about 10 minutes. When I mount them in future I need to move them back about an inch, because right now they slightly interfere with the mudguards at full lock. They are a slightly different colour than the car, so will paint them to match in the spring.

Beautiful autumn colours here right now, so took advantage of that when taking the photos

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  eclecticeric.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

eclecticeric

For some reason a couple of photos didn’t upload

Attachments:

Nice work Eric.
        I think there is a 2019 Calendar shot right there, please send some to Tony Eric.
        BW’s
        Richard

eclecticeric

Not too fast, Richard – I haven’ got my 2018 calendar yet ! Do you already have your Christmas tree up 🙂 . I will save some of the Autumn colour photos I’ve taken for Tony’s call for photos next year though.

eclecticeric

Please don’t take my previous comment too seriously, Richard (and Pat) – I have a bad habit of being a smart-ass sometimes and regretting it later….

David Q
            David Q

Hi Eric,
              I really like those panniers, and also the colour of the car! Out of interest, what colour is it? It’s quite similar to mine, which is RAL 5026 (Pearl Night Blue). I enclose a photo.

David Q

Attachments:

eclecticeric

Thanks for the comments, David. Yes, the colours do look very similar – I chose mine because it was close to the original bike colour, which I liked, as you can see from the panniers. I actually painted my car with Rustoleum spray cans from Walmart – came out OK , but not as good as a professional job, but I saved a lot of money, and bought a bunch of extra cans of the same colour, so I may paint it again in the Spring. The colour is Cobalt Blue Metallic – finished with several layers of Duplicolor clearcoat.

David Q
                David Q

Well, it certainly looks great on the photos – well done!

David Q

eclecticeric

Thanks, David – doesn’t look quite so good close up – scratches more easily than a professional job, although it seems like the clear coat should be as durable as what the professionals use, even if the Rustoleum isn’t.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.