forum Forums General Discussion External hand brake lever

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  phil whizzer 22 hours, 10 minutes ago.

• Author

Mick

Has anyone fitted an external hand brake lever to their Triking ?, I think it would save space and look the part too.

Just a thought. 🙂

WestEndGuzzi
      WestEndGuzzi

In the standard position, I cannot reach mine with my static seat belt fastened!

pesq
        pesq

Exhaust pipe would be in the way and the tunnel mount system takes up no additional space at all.

Just about to fit one of these as it suits my arthritic thumb http://www. triggerhandbrakes . com/ and makes use easier due to dropped dash design in my car.

Mick

That’s the thing ! 🙂

pesq
              pesq

Very neat unit and I do like the release lever. Where are you going to mount it?

The front hole should match the current position. New hole may fall outside my strengthening plate so will move plate or make another. Position governed by the cross plate at rear of handbrake hole in spine frame/chassis. May need to make a new rear cable. We will see. I did wonder about the passenger foot well but discounted it.

phil whizzer

For several years I have toyed with the idea of an external handbrake as I like my Triking to look as “vintage” as possible. I got a handbrake from a vintage Austin heavy 12 which runs in a ratchet quadrant – I have seen similar but rather long setups on Lomax and JZR.
                I was intending to mount it on a carrier outside of the exhaust and have a shaft through the body below the exhaust running in a pair of bearing housings mounted on the floor just in front of the drivers seat with the shaft ending in a lever in the tunnel connected to the rear brake cable.
                The best thing with this is you can grab the brake for a hill start while you change gear with your left hand!
                Just need the time to focus on doing it !!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.