forum Forums General Discussion Fibreglass

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  eclecticeric 5 months ago.

• Author

eclecticeric

Hi, everyone – I’m not to the point of having everything painted yet, but looking ahead, do people leave the fiberglass inside the bonnet, boot etc. just as it comes from Alan, or do you prime it, paint it, or ? Interested to hear your suggestions.

WestEndGuzzi
      WestEndGuzzi

Life’s too short to go painting under the bonnet Eric.
        Get the engineering sorted, paint what shows when she’s running right.
        It’s very satisfying building, even more fun when you get out on the road. Get the priorities right!

Best wishes
        Tony

iant-s

I have painted all the raw fibreglass surfaces because it seals any porosity and smooths any needle-like strands – but mainly to stop any moisture getting into the weave. Didn’t take long as the finish is not imprtant. Just a brush and gloss type of paint, really work it into the surface and overbrush to the desired quality.

peakrock

Mine had a black finish on it which I’ve left as is. You could also use flowcoat – like gel coat but doesn’t dry tacky.

eclecticeric

Thank you for your inputs – to be honest, Tony’s advice sounds the best to me – get some road time in before worrying about more esoteric details, so I think I’ll move on to more pressing things.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.