forum Forums Technical Fuel Hose Problem

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  eclecticeric 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

eclecticeric

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here? When I turn on the ignition for a minute or two, without starting the engine, the hose returning petrol to the tank swells up like this after a few minutes. This happened once before, so I replaced the hose, but the same thing happened again – as far as I can tell, it’s just the outer layer of the hose which seems to get pressurized (with petrol, as I cut it open and petrol spurted out). Also, when the fuel pump is on, I can’t stop petrol seeping out of the bottom of that hose. It’s as though there’s a lot of pressure in that hose, although it should be at ambient, as it goes straight into the tank as far as I know, and that has no pressure.

Thank you

Eric

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  eclecticeric. Reason: Resized photo
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

eclecticeric

On thinking about it some more, it seems that having a large diameter tube connecting to a smaller one downstream is part of the problem, although I’m not sure how to get around that. However, I still don’t understand where enough pressure to expand the outer casing of the fuel line is coming from.

WestEndGuzzi
        WestEndGuzzi

Sounds like you have some rubbish fuel hose!
          You really need R6 grade which won’t degrade with modern fuel.
          Have you checked that the return spigot on the tank has been drilled through?

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.

peakrock

That’s the type of fuel hose I used Tony and I’ve had no problems. I also put the pressure relief valve just after the micro filter cartridge cannister which is tucked away at the start of the tunnel just behind the gearbox and ran a single hose length all the way back to the tank. It may be that the changes of hose diameter are causing the problem..

eclecticeric

Thanks, Tony – I’ll try and get some R6 tube – hopefully that will solve the problem.. The return spigot is definitely open to the tank. I’d assumed that the fuel going into the tank from the “pressure relief valve” would be essentially at ambient pressure, but it must be above ambient to some extent, and manages to get inside the outer casing of the cheap (although not dollars – wise) fuel hose, and then can’t get out because of the down stream clamp, so balloons up the casing – not good if it ruptures while going down the road.
              I guess I’ll check to see where else I’ve used this hose !

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  eclecticeric.

eclecticeric

I replaced the “cheap” hose with “multi-fuel” hose (my auto parts store knows nothing about R6 hose), and that seems to have solved the problem . Thanks Tony and “peakrock” for your suggestions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.