forum Forums Technical Gear Shift

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  eclecticeric 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

eclecticeric

I’m confused – not being a motorcycle rider, I assumed that as you went up through the gears, the gear shift would have to be pulled farther and farther backwards, and my first couple of trips down the road seemed to confirm this, although I only got into 3rd gear briefly. Then, my neighbor, who is a motorcycle rider, said the gearshift should return to it’s central position after each shift, and Alan confirmed this. But then I remember someone on the forum a few weeks ago saying they’d installed a gadget with magnets on their gearshift to tell them which gear they were in. This wouldn’t work if the gearshift returned to “neutral” between shifts.

What’s going on ?

Thanks

Eric

david
      david

the sensors are placed in front and behind the central position the lever returns to.The magnet is on the gear lever.So if changing up a gear the sensor would sense the lever pushed backwards with the magnet on.and indicate a higher gear..and similarly as the lever passed the front sensor, a lower gear would be indicated…or it does on mine -if the sensors are in the correct positions…

eclecticeric

Thank you, David – now I understand how rhe gadget works – I was thinking there would be a sensor corresponding to each position of the gear lever as it continually moved back. And I guess you are verifying that the gear shift should centralize itself after each shift. Maybe the leather gearshift boot I have (or friction somewhere else) is causing too much resistance for it to automatically centralize itself

SteveO

Eric
            Its the spring inside the gearbox that returns the lever to centre. A big improvement is to make the gear change linkage with rose joints (ball joints) as there is less friction to resist the spring. David explained the gear position indicator, it was mine. The roads here in Canada are a lot longer than the UK so I sometimes forget what gear I am in! Cant beat it for the price.
            Steve

eclecticeric

Thanks Steve – that’s what I figured. My kit came with rose joints everywhere on the gearshift linkage. When it stops raining I’ll investigate further – as I said above, I think the gearshift boot may need some adjustment, as I think that may be hanging things up.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent replies