forum Forums Lounge Happy Christmas to all

This topic contains 22 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Richard and Pat Richard and Pat 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

SteveO

Happy Christmas and new year to all from myself in Canada.
      I will be away hence early salutations. Sounds as if for once we are getting the best weather as 15C last week when usually we have at least a foot of snow and -20 this time of year.

Steve

DSU475
      DSU475

Steve,
        A Happy Christmas and new year to you too ! The attached pic shows the result of 2″ of snow here in Leicestershire, England would grind to a halt with a foot of the white stuff !
        Andy

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.

iant-s

The thing I have always wondered is where does one move a foot of snow to when clearing it? Some Polish Lads I worked with years ago said a metre of snow was usual at home, but they didn’t understand what I meant when I asked where they would put it. I cleared the 2 inches off my drive and it made an impressive heap. Imagine clearing a 12 inch fall or more.
          Perhaps when you get THAT much – you don’t clear it? Over to you SteveO for learned comment.

eclecticeric

You have to clear it if you want to go anywhere, and the nearest grocery store is 7 miles away. We got a cumulative total of over 7 feet of snow last winter, and I must have shoveled the driveway 10 times. After the snow piles get to 3 or 4 feet, it’s very hard throwing the snow that high, especially if it’s wet.
              Fortunately we haven’t had any so far this winter, but there’s a long way to go….
              However, we do have great summers here , perfect for driving a certain 3- wheeler around!

Attachments:

I can see you sitting in the chair, this is snow time to be drinking iced Tea.

eclecticeric

That’s our local watering-hole, and I was posing for the photo with an empty can of beer because they weren’t open at the time. Unfortunately it has now closed for the foreseeable future.

eclecticeric

I grew up in Rugby, not too far from you, and I remember when I was a kid, my Dad opened the front door after a snow-storm, and there was a solid wall of snow with the imprint of the doorknob in it, probably 3 feet high.

SteveO

Hi,

That sounds like 1963 when it snowed more than I ever saw before or after. In North London it was 2 feet deep and hung around for months.

Here in Calgary we get what are called Chinook winds that blow through the Rockies from the Pacific. These are warm enough to melt all accumulated snow and occur every couple of weeks. Happening right now! The temperature can change more in a day than the UK experiences in a year. In the east of Canada the snow gets so high people end up walking in a trench from their front doors which can be 10 feet high as you run out of places to put it.

Steve

iant-s

So would you say Employers just accept the fact that people cannot get to work and everyone in the area just has to wait for it to reduce naturally before normal life resumes? I am just thinking of England where a 2″ fall brings chaos as Folks set out for work – seemingly at the same time as they do in summer.

SteveO

People and the authorities are used to and prepared for snow so not too many issues. Does catch them out occasionally and people take a “snow day” for which they generally do not get paid. Most people drive 4x4s so can cope and most of the cars have tires changed to snow tires which helps. About CAD$130 to have 4 tires switched unless you have them already mounted on winter rims which are just cheapo steel rims painted black.
                      Still loads of “fender benders” here on the day of first snow.
                      Steve

eclecticeric

In general. i’s easier to drive in 6″ of dry (i.e. very cold) snow than 2″ of wet (near freezing) snow.

SteveO

Guess I spoke too soon. 8 -10″ of snow today
                          Steve

Hope the photo imports!

Attachments:

eclecticeric

A snow blower – what a wuss ! Very aerodynamic-looking car you have there, Steve.

guygreaves

For my sins, I depart Northern England for Thailand every year, between November and March, This is the view from our balcony in Chiang Mai, I leave my Triking behind tucked up in the garage.
                              Where did I go wrong?

guygreaves

Let’s try again to upload the photo

SteveO

That’s not a snow blower its an artic Triking!
                                  Seriously indispensable at over 6″. Less I do by hand.

eclecticeric

I’m surprised the houses around you have such low-pitched roofs, considering how much snow I assume you get. I usually have to rake the snow off my (low-pitched) garage roof , in case it collapses on all my valuable treasures inside. This year it’s more important than ever, because my treasured Triking is inside

WestEndGuzzi
                                    WestEndGuzzi

Happy Christmas & New Year to all.
                                      From
                                      Tony & Carol.

Oily
                                      Oily

Very best wishes to all from me over here!

eclecticeric

Have a great Christmas, everyone !

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  eclecticeric.
                                          Attachments:
                                          DSU475
                                          DSU475

And a Happy Christmas to you all from Me

Musselermark
                                            Musselermark

Happy Christmas to you all. Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2018 with plenty of three wheeler miles

Happy Christmas and New Triking Year to you all.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.