forum Forums General Discussion Hinged Boot

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  eclecticeric 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

eclecticeric

In case anyone else with a Type 2 feels the urge for a hinged boot, I thought I’d show a few photos of what I did. Since I put my battery at the end of the passenger’s foot area, I thought I’d create some additional storage area in the boot. Access was a problem, and one day I realized that if I moved the front of the luggage rack to the body behind the seat, and replaced the “feet” with hinges, that would work, so this is the result. A pretty simple mod., and by putting a “diaphragm” made of a piece of pond liner around the petrol cap hole, you can open the boot without having to take the gas cap off, Also added a locking hasp at the rear.

Sorry if I seem to be hogging the forum – I guess it’s because I’m excited to have Bluebottle running (pretty much) – plus I need the solution to a bunch of minor problems 🙂

Eric

eclecticeric

Hmm – photos didn’t load for some reason – I’ll try again…..

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
          pesq
          pesq

Very good. I like it also the rear guard but wheel removal may be a challenge.

eclecticeric

The rear mudguard is the rear one from my donor bike. I haven’t glued my body on yet, and ,to be honest, I haven’t thought through how I would take out the rear wheel once it’s glued on. I did recess the bottom of the storage compartment so that I can get the spindle out, but do you take the rear wheel out through the top or jack it way up and take it out through the bottom ? Either way, I’m not visualizing doing this on the side of the road, but calling AAA for assistance.

What sort of jacks do people carry with them – I find most “normal” jacks won’t fit under the car.

iant-s

Really nice work. Beard stroking material…….

SteveO

Eric,

No hogging we all like to see what changes people make.
                Looks as if meant to be a very nice mod.

Steve

WestEndGuzzi
                WestEndGuzzi

Nice engineering Eric, with useful easy access stowage.
                  Keep reporting in with the good and the bad!

peakrock

Very nice job – you’ve got me thinking about doing mine now though I might try and persuade Alan to make a luggage rack with hinged feet on it already ! What with that and probable gearbox shimming my winter job list is filling up… 🙂
                    Dave

eclecticeric

eclecticeric

I forgot to mention a couple of things – obviously this can be done even if you don’t have a luggage rack – you just need hasp-type hinges with long enough arms such that the hinge-point is in front of the most forward part of the boot lid. Also, to stop things binding when opening the boot, the two hinges have to be in the same plane, parallel with the ground. This means that some Bondo or other filler has to be used to raise the outer edges of the hinges, including on the boot itself if you don’t have a luggage rack.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.