forum Forums Lounge New Member

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mick 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Mick

I thought I should introduce myself..

My name is Mick and I live in Saskatchewan Canada. I’m actually English but have dual citizenship.

I would guess like most people here I always wanted a Morgan but could not afford one. After many months of weighing up the pros and cons of all the three wheelers available I have decided the Triking is probably the best option. It’s certainly not the cheapest but I can buy it in pieces as finances allow………. I have already bought the Moto Guzzi, it’s just the surrounding bit’s that I need now. 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  Mick.
      Oily
      Oily

Hello Mick, welcome! You’ve made an excellent choice, please keep us up to date with your progress.

eclecticeric

Hi, Mick – I’m also an “expatriate” Brit ( I think there are quite a few on this forum) living in Oregon. I started work on my Triking build about a month ago, and have had some great help from members of this forum – I’m guessing that, like me, you don’t have many friends with Trikings to look at for guidance, so the forum is an invaluable resource when you get stuck.

Mick

Oily……..When I spoke with Alan at triking last week he mentioned he had just shipped a kit to Oregon, that must have been you.

I don’t know what the procedure is when importing to the US, but the officious frogs at Transport Canada are not helpful, they wanted part numbers for every little part on headed paper, only then would they CONSIDER it. Turns out that it’s all complete BS, they can only stop imports of complete vehicles under 15 years old, and by their own rules a Triking kit is not considered a regulated vehicle.

As it happens I know Steve Oram in Calgary who has a Triking , he is also a member here but I forget his forum name. He’s English too !

I will start the ball rolling later this year when I have the spondoolies

WestEndGuzzi
            WestEndGuzzi

Welcome Mick, there is a wealth of knowledge here on the Triking forum!
              Having trouble posting pictures? Compress them down to under 512kb per post.
              Failing that, email them to me and I will add them for you. (atdwew at gmail dot com)

Your avatar looks like a pair of hoopoes dancing the jive!
              Tony

Mick

Yes Tony I can’t post pics 🙂 How do you compress them ?

WestEndGuzzi
                WestEndGuzzi

I use photoshop elements, but I am really struggling to find something to recommend that may be on everyone’s system.
                  I’ll seek advice and guidance.
                  Perhaps we have a reader on here who can suggest a software that will do the job.

Mick

I just downloaded winzip but I don’t recommend it to anyone.

Trying something else… [IMG] https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15178148_1713181428999254_32095064942989915_n.jpg?oh=18e4f83d67c56b0ace0382e9311b9893&oe=59886BF3 [/IMG]

eclecticeric

That worked fine – looks similar to my 1999 Bassa.
                          , but mine didn’t have the fairing.

Mick

You can see it ?… I can’t see a bloody thing apart from a load of numbers and letters.

It’s a 2003 titanium with just 3500 miles. It’s the one with the hydro valves but it’s been sorted,the recall has been done. Goes like a rocket ! My Triking will fly 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  Mick.

iant-s

I open the image using “Paint”. There is a re-size button in the tool bar. Takes a couple of goes to get it small enough – check by looking at “properties”. Once happy with it save with a different name. Then be careful to select this smaller version when uploading.

Mick

eclecticeric

This works as well !

Importing the kit into the US turned out to be a breeze – customs, etc. cheaper than I expected also – hopefully I haven’t used up all my good luck and getting it licensed turns out to be a nightmare. However, as far as I can tell in Oregon there are essentially zero checks on equipment and emissions since I live outside the city – we’ll see! The thing that does bother me is that legally I have to wear a crash helmet since it’s licensed as a motorcycle. Since 3 wheelers are extremely rare around here, and the police may not realise I’m supposed to wear one, I may flout the law until I get my first ticket, then I guess I’ll have to toe the line.

Mick

Neither of them work on my computer, it’s weird.

Here in Saskatchewan they have recently changed the rules. If it has three wheels and a steering wheel it’s a three wheeled car, but you still have to wear a crash helmet and a seat belt.. If it does not have a steering wheel it’s a motorcycle, and you have to wear a crash helmet but no seatbelt.. I might install an aircraft yoke rather than a steering wheel and keep mine as a Moto Guzzi, that way I will not need to bother about a safety test.

Like you I don’t think the cops here will have a clue about the laws regarding three wheelers, I can’t see me getting a ticket for not wearing a crash helmet…… That said I expect you might want to wear one anyway, the wind can quickly become a pain, it even gets tiresome even in a Lomax.

PS, I don’t like the idea of wearing a seat belt, I would prefer to be ejected rather than be held captive and pastried.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  Mick.
                                WestEndGuzzi
                                WestEndGuzzi

The wearing of a helmet in a Triking is only necessary if you are very tall (as some of our members are) and look over the windscreen, rather than through it. The standard height screen gives excellent deflection of wind and rain (once you are at cruising speed).
                                  Windscreen wipers are a must imho, don’t rely on Rainex, it doesn’t work at low speed.
                                  The design of the cockpit area holds the driver, and passenger for that matter, in place. Being ‘ejected’ may be a bit difficult.
                                  So rather than a helmet and no seat belt, I think the best plan would be a roll-over bar and seatbelts.
                                  Or you could buy a ready made tin-top!

Mick

Please tell me more about the tin top.

SteveO

Here in Alberta off I went without a helmet (required) and got stopped within 5 minutes – the license plate for a bike has less characters than a car hence………..

SteveO

Mick

Did they do you for it Steve ?

SteveO

Nope let me go as they were more interested in the Triking than writing a ticket. It was on the passenger seat so told them I was distracted and forgot to put it on.
                                              I have a Polaris Slingshot and have to wear both a helmet and seat belt. I wear a seat belt in the Triking too, but I believe you only have to wear if fitted/

Steve

Oily
                                                Oily

Over here it’s either seatbelt or lid, I prefer the seatbelt option.

Mick

Where do you live ?

There’s different rules in Canada depending which province you live in. That said the cops here are usually very laid back.

Mick

Took my wife for a 250 mile spin yesterday, much of it on the number 1 highway at speeds in excess of 100 mph. When we got home and put it away she said .. “it can stay there till it has another wheel and proper seats ” . That makes it official !

She’s the only ton up grandma I know 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.