forum Forums Forum Stuff New registrations this week.

This topic contains 33 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by WestEndGuzzi WestEndGuzzi 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    WestEndGuzzi
    WestEndGuzzi

Since the deletion of the captcha at loggin, there have been several registrations of ‘suspicious’ character, including Algernon whatsizname. You have all been banned.
      If you wish to be reinstated, email me.
      atdwew at gmail dot com

Best wishes to all genuine enthusiasts, hope I have not inconvenienced you.
      Tony

billdavies
      billdavies

Toni,
        Algernon was the pen name of one of the early Pembleton trike builders, may be he is starting up again
        regards Bill

WestEndGuzzi
        WestEndGuzzi

Come in Algernon Shufflepipe. If you are real, please let me know.

Very best wishes
          Tony

WestEndGuzzi
          WestEndGuzzi

I’ve had another delete session.
            The registered members list had gone up to over 900 which is totally out of proportion. It’s now down to 510 after deleting a huge number of ‘bot’ generated rubbish and early ‘never logged on’ members. There are still a couple of hundred that have never logged on that will have to go.
            All new registrations will be vetted, if real names are not included (which are confidential and not seen on the site) when registering, it may be deleted.
            If you have been deleted, let me know. Hope this may curb the trash that turns up every week.

(The list is now down to 457)

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by WestEndGuzzi WestEndGuzzi. Reason: New total

Hi Tony, That’s a sensational no. of registrations considering that there is only around 250 cars and some of them have probably gone to the big scrapyard in the sky. even considering that there may be people thinking about one and getting information together it is still a phenomenal amount. The thing I find most amazing looking back through old postings is that only about 10 people actually use the forum on an adhoc basis and probably only 5 or 6 on a regular weekly basis. If I recall correctly , this is what happened to the Old forum as everyone was reading posts and not bothering to post themselves. I know from being involved in other similar 3 wheeler forums that you must put a lot of work into moderating it and I note that the TRIKING factory provide this service FOC. Can you delete people that do not post for say 6 Weeks or stop people reading the posts in they are not contributing.
            I know I’m the New Boy and this would be somewhat controversial, but I bet my best fur lined flying Boots that no more than Two people reply to this post!!!!. Come on Guys and Girls prove old Algernon wrong. As they say. ” Use it or lose it.
            Regards to all readers. Algernon S.

iant-s

Hi Tony / Algernon,
                I am still real as far as I can tell (Sartre?) and view the forum two or three times a week.

eclecticeric

I think you’re right, Algernon – in a forum where there tends to be only a limited number of participants, it’s better to post something that may be only peripherally related to the forum in question than not post at all, otherwise people lose interest and the forum dies from neglect.
                As soon as I get my kit to work on I’ll keep you all very busy responding to my cries for help.

WestEndGuzzi
                WestEndGuzzi

Thanks for the kind words. There must be lots of enthusiasts that enjoy following the exploits of other three wheel owners on our forum.
                  Technical help has always been a great help to me when building and hope that others have gained knowledge and enthusiasm from the experiences and mistakes of others. A search on this forum can usually turn up previous discussions about problem topics.
                  If something hasn’t cropped up then someone will have an opinion about it, even the simplest questions can turn into lengthy light hearted banter.
                  This is a good place to publicise events, sporting or social. There are in excess of 110 known Trikings on the world map, only 16 of them are not registered here, but the proportion who regularly access this forum is small. It would be great to get feed back from those that do watch but not post. An email would be appreciated (atdwew at gmail dot com).

I see no need to discourage observers who do not contribute, they may one day have change of circumstance that will enable them to share in the building, owning and pure fun of the Triking. What does need to be weeded out are registrations where the ‘person’ has never even logged in, because we all know that they are not even looking at the pictures, so are not enthusiasts, usually ‘robot’ generated sites with .ru email addresses. If there are genuine enthusiasts from .ru I apologise, contact me and I will reinstate you.
                  The earlier problems with ‘bots’ was kerbed for a while with the addition of ‘captcha’ at the log-in point. This did give me a behind-the-scenes view of trending data, which helped me but then created the next problem of us all being FORBIDDEN access. So the captcha was removed by our web designer, I then lost the trending data. He-Ho.
                  I now need web design to help me with data, the registration section needs an update & repair, but that’s going to cost Alan more money.
                  Best wishes to all.

archie
                  archie

Algernon. Nice to see you back in circulation and as ever still the shrinking Violet of the MTWC days. Have they Black Balled you now? Looks like you’ve lost your best flying Boots as I’m no. 3 to post. Pleased to see the ” Old Goat” has finally retired.
                    Yes I agree . As Tony states there are a lot of registrations for the number of postings. I’m sure that there must be people the have an interest in acquiring a Triking and are collating information. Perhaps they are a little embarrassed to ask questions. I know Tony spends a lot of his time behind the scenes sorting out the IT side of the Forum and Triking Sportscars LTD do provide this site at their own exspence for the benefit of the Triking community so it would be great if there were more postings from owners and potential owners. I receive email from builders all over the world every week that are embarrassed to ask the question in public, Nobody will judge you on this forum as we’ve all done stupid things so why not fire away on here as there is a wealth of experience on these pages. Well done for airing the point Algernon. you can’t keep reading Books if no one is writing them.
                    We will never all agree on the same points but that is what the forum is about . light hearted banter,discussions and debating various points of building and using the finished article in a polite and clean manner.
                    Archie.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by archie archie.
                    Musselermark
                    Musselermark

Mixed feelings on this topic. I view the forum on a daily basis. But comment only occasionally when I feel I have a valid comment ?
                      Yet class myself as an active Triking owner and enthusiast.

SteveO

I’m with Musselermark on this I post a few times a year, but see no point in posting for the sake of it. That’s for agony aunts!
                        I am sure a lot of people search the topics and find answers without having to post.
                        I read the forum here in Canada most nights out of interest and will admit get disappointed when there is a dry spell.
                        SteveO

doverhay
                        doverhay

As with Musselmark and SteveO, I am also a regular reader of the forum and only add to when I have something to say. I do like keeping up with the banter and drop in the odd posting now and again.
                          During my build I thought I gave the forum a good battering, and I certainly benifited from some of the information that was posted back on my blog.
                          I have to agree, that sometimes there is a bit of a drought and perhaps a few more build postings would quench our thirst.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by doverhay doverhay.

JohnB50

I don’t have a Triking yet but am hoping to build one at some point in the future, I had hoped to treat myself to a kit for my 50th birthday but am 49 now and am still building my house! I look at the forum several times a week but don’t post as I have no reason to at present. It is a great forum and I can’t think why you would want to stop interested people looking at it just because they don’t post on it, it just needs a way of stopping fake registrations.
                            Regards
                            John

WestEndGuzzi
                            WestEndGuzzi

Welcome John. You joined this forum on my birthday this year so you are a good guy!
                              You put the message in a nutshell.
                              Nobody wants to stop any enthusiast from browsing the Triking forum. Our web designer is working on the security problem to prevent ‘bot’ generated registrations and posts.
                              Good luck with the house build, pay particular attention to the workshop, you will be needing it to build your Triking in.

Very best wishes
                              Tony

Sometime you have to make a controversial comment to draw a reaction and this certainly has . It appears that there are a lot of people out there who enjoy reading others posting which is great and I’m sure that nobody wants to deny access to interested parties. The problem is as Eric mentioned and SteveO and doverhay posted, members become disappointed and lose interest in viewing when there are no new posts. I suppose that it is like the Chicken and the Egg scenario. If you don’t post anything you can’t read anything. SteveO mentioned that builders probably get the information from the forum archive postings and do not need to ask which is a fair comment, but they only got there in the first place with somebodies original posting.
                              I hope this will draw interested parties and new project builders to start sharing their questions and interest with others to draw new life into the forum.
                              I am new to this particular forum and will start to share my experiences now I have my car complete and back here. It now needs the MSVA test and final registration with the jobsworth Jonnys and we will be ” turning and burning” in the new year.
                              Algernon

tool-roll-aWhat about an additional subject heading: ‘Today Tony I …’ and we can post what we have done however small a job on the build / rebuild/ modification; what we have seen that might be useful; where we have been and may be a picture too? Or I was here … Trikings turn up everywhere … How to go shopping in a Triking [ask Musslermark]… Here’s one to start:
                              Today Tony I fitted a Tool Roll under the bonnet.

WestEndGuzzi
                              WestEndGuzzi

Richard, we already have that subject called Lounge.
                                The picture of your tool roll is great, but they won’t be posted like that generally.
                                You will still need to loggin to see pictures in posts, which does differentiate between a ‘bot’ and an enthusiast, you have to log in!

???

SteveO

Hi,

Like others I am an avid reader/follower of builds.

Anybody know what happened to the guy who was posting U-Tube installments of his build. He posted about 4 or 5 and then disappeared.
                                  I think his last name was Norton.

Thanks to David et al for their builds, I understand that stopping to build to take photographs can be frustrating.
                                  I would have built, but very difficult to import into Canada so imported a series 1 from the US. I am thinking I may have put as much effort into this car as it would have taken to build. Note the car was very presentable when purchased.

SteveO

Snowback
                                  Snowback

I am new to this group. I find it curious that people want to ban others for the lack of posting…maybe they just don’t have anything that would add value.
                                    Several years ago I acquired a Beck 550 Spyder from New Hampshire. The Spyder forum was invaluable for me when I had to sort out any technical issues on my car.

I joined the group before I acquired my Spyder to understand the various builds and manufacturers. I ended up going with the Beck because it had a good reputation and the car I bought had been built 15 years ago. A requirement to import a “kit” car into Canada as it has to be beyond 15 years old to avoid Transport Canada’s mandate.

I have discussed and seen a Triking and a JZR. Right now I am leaning towards the Triking. First think I need to do is buy a Moto Guzzi California 1100.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by Snowback Snowback.
                                      WestEndGuzzi
                                      WestEndGuzzi

Very warm welcome to the forum Snowback. Excellent that you have given us some geographical information in your profile.
                                        You will see from the Triking map that you are not alone out there in Calgary.
                                        It is certainly not our nor the consensus of opinion that others should be banned for not posting.
                                        If someone registers and then does not log in we can see that they are not really interested. I hope you haven’t missed the point about the problem we have at the moment with registrations, another 10 were deleted last night. Even when not registered people can still browse & read but not see pictures in posts, nor post in a topic or use the message system.
                                        If I have deleted someone in error, contact me, I’ve put my email address on here enough times!
                                        Best wishes
                                        Tony

VinH

I agree with Richard re posting info on builds / re-builds / mods; during my build (which is currently about 95% complete) I read a lot of technical posts and did not think that my adding yet another build description would be of a lot of interest to others as I don’t think my build was particularly unique. I think the lack of a build manual caused me more problems than anything else during my build. What could perhaps be of some use to forum readers are more descriptions of some of the build techniques / those used to carry out these mods e.g. adhesives, metal joining techniques, laminating processes etc ad infinitum.
                                        To put the Triking forum in context, the Austin 7 club have a forum which receives a lot of posts on things technical and various; there are also quite a few lively discussions, some of which can become fairly garrulous and waspish but like the curates egg, remain both interesting and entertaining in parts – I would suggest that the average age of A7 members could well be a contributory factor here (the grumpy old git syndrome).
                                        Finally, if a Forum item is of no personal interest, no-one says you have to read it.

Oily
                                        Oily

I think the forum is perfect as it is; relaxed, polite & informative.

DSU475
                                          DSU475

Hi All,
                                            I have been a member and regular contributor to this Forum since its inception, I also frequented the one it replaced and am aware of the very first one and the ‘Trifles’ Triking magazine.
                                            The forum is historically fairly quiet at this time of the year, there are few meet ups and many machines are in hibernation. The problem with having a large number of ‘Topics’ is that quite a few get ‘hidden’ under the new ones that replace them.
                                            I agree with Nick, our Forum is perfect for its purpose through the generosity of Alan and the tireless and effective moderation that Tony supplies.

billdavies
                                            billdavies

Algernon,
                                              Well did you put your hand into a wasp’Bike, or what.
                                              In order for any Forum to be effective then it’s contributors need to write in with topics…these do not necessarily need to be Technical, they can of interesting run-outs. Or maybe after building they are too brain drained!!
                                              I like to contribute and don’t suffer from having too thin skin…if you don’t ask you won’t get told.
                                              Having had so many responses you must be down to the proverbial underwear by now.
                                              You’ll need to get some sheepskin covers to keep warm.
                                              regards Bill D

Bill, yes we seem to have stirred up a bit of a Hornets nest which is unusual for me as I’m normally a sit on the fence kind of fellow. Strange thing is there are more postings with views on the subject and also registered members appearing from the virtual ether. Tony may be able to tell us how many people have logged on over the last week? I would rather see people replying with a view even if it’s to say ” shut up you old goat”. It is good to see new people coming forward who have been looking in and now can ask questions about this wonderful machine to people that actually own them.
                                                One other observation I made when looking at old posts to catch up on back news was that a lot of the build postings did not receive any response or encouragement. For example , the build that was being recorded by the mentioned Mr Norton did not get a lot of feedback and that was probably the reason he decided not to carry on with his build blog. Just a guess and don’t want to start another Grit storm.

Snowback
                                              Snowback

Sorry,
                                                Here I thought I spoke and understood the Queen’s tongue…. what is a Wasp’Bike?

Snowback
                                                Snowback

I think I need an English to Canadian Dictionary!!!

billdavies
                                                  billdavies

Snowpack,
                                                    It is quite straight forward…I missed an s…it should read “wasp’s bike”.
                                                    It is used by wasps for sleeping in, not for going for the messages.

It may be a Scottish term but I thought it was used more widely.
                                                    regards Bill

VinH

Bill,

You may find that you also have to explain what “going for the meassages” means…

Snowback
                                                      Snowback

Bill,

So if I understand you… It’s a bike that has not been used and has stood in one place for some time. I had a VW beetle that ended up have a hornet’s next under one of the front wheel wells once.

Snowback
                                                        Snowback

vinH,
                                                          Don’t be so shy… You can blurt it out and assist in my Education!

VinH

It is a saying used in the far North of England & Scotland: it means going to the shop / supermarket / butchers to get the shopping.
                                                            ‘Messages’ can be a pound of mince, a bag of potatoes, a bottle of ginger, whatever.

WestEndGuzzi
                                                            WestEndGuzzi

I’ve done my daily chore of deleting rogue registrations from the forum. There were 15 in the last 24hrs.

If I have deleted anyone by accident, please let me know and I will re-instate.
                                                              Likewise, if anyone has forgotten their password, I can reset. You need to log in to see attachments on posts.
                                                              Email me —- atdwew at gmail dot com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.