forum Forums General Discussion Rattles and Bangs

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  iant-s 2 months ago.

• Author

eclecticeric

I went for my longest drive yet (15 miles), on a curvy road . and apart from me being nervous and very tentative, in general things went reasonably well, and I managed to make it back home :-).
      However, one thing that I noticed – couldn’t help it, quite loud – were rattles and bangs which seemed to come from the centre of the tunnel when decelerating or coasting. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t happen on acceleration, although hard to tell because of the engine noise. I checked all the bolts holding the u/j’s to the reverse gearbox, and the reverse gearbox mounting bolts, and everything is tight .

Any suggestions ?

WestEndGuzzi
      WestEndGuzzi

There is very little clearance on the r/h side of the reverse gearbox and the chassis panel. So when on over-run, it will twist over and may just be touching.
        I piece of rubber car floor mat glued to the inside of the panel (between panel and gearbox) may cure the noise.

peakrock

If as Tony says the gearbox is extremely close to the right hand side of the tunnel you can always try moving the whole engine/gearbox sideways in the chassis a bit by shortening the spacers on the starter motor side and packing out the spacers on the other side. Having said that my own drive train is very noisy – you can hear the gearbox whine particularly in 5th and on the overrun I’m well aware of the backlash in the rear hub drive. I don’t have much sound proofing around my tunnel, no carpets either and having checked everything is tight and secure I don’t worry about it any more and wear ear plugs, which make a significant difference to my enjoyment of a long drive.
          Dave

eclecticeric

I think you may be right, Tony – the rubber mounts on the gearbox are quite long and could flex enough to allow the gearbox to hit the side panel – under load the torque may twist the gearbox away from the side panel. I’ll try jamming some rubber “tile” I happen to have in between the gearbox and the panel initially and see if it makes any difference, before taking the gearbox out and gluing some in – beautiful Autumn weather here right now, but I don’t know how long it will last.
            Dave – I’m enjoying the sound of the engine right now, but I can see that after an hour or two it could be headache-inducing. Moving the engine/gearbox/drive train sounds like a big job – earplugs would be much easier 🙂

eclecticeric

Repeated the trip I made yesterday, after forcing some “rubber tile” about 4mm thick down between the reverse gearbox and the right hand side of the tunnel. Cut down the rattles and bangs quite a bit – now to the point where they are “background noise”. Maybe next spring I’ll do a more permanent fix, but I think it’ll do for now. Thanks Tony and Dave.
              Gearshifts, both up and down are improving. Sometimes some grinding of gears when shifting from neutral into first, but sometimes it’s fine – not sure what I’m doing differently.

eclecticeric

Turn-around point of today’s trip – already getting some comments and photo requests 🙂

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Musselermark
                Musselermark

Well done! That looks like a calendar picture to me.

doverhay
                  doverhay

Don’t forget there is a very cheap option to lessen the noise, it’s used by a great deal of drivers of open cars, ear plugs, although I’ve not used them many people have and found that it improves the experience.

Slow hand Luke Eric,
                    Slip the gear into mesh, I have been guilty of too fast a change, likewise coming down for junctions slow right down and all but first will slip in like a trout through your fingers.

doverhay
                    doverhay

A useful tip to avoid rattles and bangs through the transmission that works for me, select a gear that keeps the engine above 2000rpm, especially when travelling in traffic or low speeds using a very light throttle. I know the engine will pull below this rpm, but unless the engine is pulling you will get transmission chatter as the load transfers from pulling to pushing. As I said, it works for me, as soon as the chattering starts I change down a gear until it either reduces or disappears altogether.

eclecticeric

Thanks for all your suggestions. I’m guessing that as I drive it more and get more experience shifting, etc., I’ll overcome (or get used to) some of it’s idiosyncrasies, although I imagine that basically it’s the same as everyone else’s car. Never having seen, heard or sat in one before, and being used to a modern automatic transmission (not to mention that my wife has a Prius, which is particularly quiet), I wasn’t quite ready for some of the noises. Like Alan/Tony say “Driving at it’s most elemental”, which is (or will be) 90% of the fun, after I’ve driven it enough to convince myself that something isn’t going to fall off or drop out 🙂

iant-s

Take a Morgan 3 for a ride if you want to hear some worrying noises.

eclecticeric

Thanks, Ian (?) – good to know that for another $35000 I could have got more noises !

iant-s

Kind of like “More BANG for your Buck”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent replies