forum Forums Technical Series 1 front suspension upgrade to latest top arms

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SteveO 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

SteveO

Hi

Finally sorted out my problems with lack of camber adjustment on 1985. Tops of wheels sloped in by about 5 degrees mainly due to interference from previous owner.

Bought new top wishbones/A-arms from Alan with ball joints. Had to make tapered sleeves for ball joint stems as old Triumph type are a larger diameter. About an hour on my lathe after getting the taper by trial and error and using micrometer blue.

Changed front shocks as Alan said ride height looked low, went for 10mm over length which work great
      Steve

• This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  SteveO.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      DSU475
      DSU475

Hi Steve,
        I bow to your skill on a lathe ! A very useful modification, not sure whether i can implement on my 1982 car , as I have the original Triumph uprights. It seems that the uprights changed from Triumph to bespoke Triking items sometime between my car (number 27) and your car (number 43)
        The attached pic shows the original type uprights.
        Regards,
        Andy

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.

SteveO

Andy,

Yes you have the trunnion lowers, but I think the top arms are the same. My camber was vastly out of spec somewhat because a previous owner had interfered with the suspension. Drilled out the ball joint mounting holes to the point of breakthrough and slotted both top and bottom arm ball joint bolt holes. I can live with the slotting in the bottom arms as the bolts are at the top of the slots with plenty of meat left and road shocks will force the ball joints up the slot anyway.

I do not see why you could not do the mod to your top arms if you have a need.

Steve

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent replies