forum Forums Technical Swinging arm spacers

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by pesq pesq 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Hello Trikinistas,
    Can anyone please describe or send a photo of what the swing arm spacers look like. I may be missing one or two. The screw was a long way in on the offside when I stripped down TYP.

pesq
    pesq

Hi Richard

Are you referring to the pivot/retaining/adjusting screws of the swing arm? If so no spacers as such.
      As you will be aware the screw goes into the swing arm bearing which has a seal to help stop the invasion of dirt.
      What may appear to be spacers I would say are additional foam or felt seals to take up the gap between the end face of the arm and the sides of chassis where the screw comes through. Thus adding additional dirt invasion protection.
      These gap filling seals could be of different thickness depending on how your swing arm drive lines up with the incoming drive shaft.

Hope I’m on the right subject?

Paul

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

iant-s

This photo has the 5mm thick spacers missing. See DSU475 comment below.

DSU475
        DSU475

Richard,
          It may be that some set-ups have spacers and some don’t. My Ser 1 has a spacer each side which are the same dimensions as the inner race that you can see on Pauls photo, but only 5 mil thick. They are loosely held by the inner portion of the dust seal. They allow the adjusting screws to exert equal pressure on the inner race.

Thank you Paul, Ian and Andy,
          I will go and take some photos.
          Richard

Swing arm bearing, swing arm pivot bolts What am I looking for / need to buy / make please?
          Separate subject possibly? Mystery items?

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          doverhay
          doverhay

Hi Richard, you should two small spacers that fit into the seals and space out the distance between the bearing and the end of the adjustable swinging arm pin. I don’t have a picture, but the are only around 10mm wide and the diameter to fit inside the seals.

Thank you Richard

doverhay
              doverhay

I’ve just noticed that Andy has already given you the same info, I should have read the complete blog, well at least you’ve got confirmation of what’s required.
                A little more info on this, I believe Axel has drilled the threaded support pins and added a grease nipple to grease the swinging arm bushes, it does mean that you have to remove the seal and turn it around to allow the old grease to be forced out without pushing the seal out when greasing. It’s a job I’m going to do at some time.

pesq
              pesq

Greasing, interesting and certainly worth while as it can many years before the swing arm is removed.
                My comment above re no spacers is as found in our Type 1 it works without spacers and I was not aware that there should be any. However I can see the distinct benefit of better support across the bearing with a snug fit into the seal. Looks like I will be adding them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.